Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Being good.

I haven't been sticking to my diet or my exercise regimen for the last month. My main two reasons were:
  • it's too hot
  • I'm too tired to exercise and/or too stressed to stick to my diet.
So once again I'm booting myself back onto that good health wagon. I've done well so far today (but it's only 3:45 PM).

One of the things I'd forgotten is what a rush it is when I actually stick to my resolutions! After my walk, I felt invigorated, and my legs felt looser and freed of the jammed-under-a-computer-desk-all-damn-day feeling they usually have. And after my low-cal/fat cookie I felt like "YES! I rule!"

Among the work-related and other things I can feel proud of today, here are the healthy things I did well:
  • remembered sneakers & socks to walk at lunch
  • ate a 1/2 banana instead of something higher calories for a snack at 11 am.
  • actually went on that walk!
  • had more fruit for dessert, saving my official cookie for my 3 pm snack.
  • actually waited til 3 pm to have my snack.
Yes, I do rule! And who knows how many more good things I'll do today -- after all, it's only 3:45.

1 comment:

Sabine said...

And if it seems silly or trivial to be excited about being good for .75 of the first day, read this article at Fast Company: http://pf.fastcompany.com/magazine/94/open_change-or-die.html

Here's an interesting quotes from the article:

"[Dr. Dean Ornish] inspires a new vision of the "joy of living" -- convincing them they can feel better, not just live longer. That means enjoying the things that make daily life pleasurable, like making love or even taking long walks without the pain caused by their disease. "Joy is a more powerful motivator than fear," he says.